Sunday 19 March 2017

BERNIE WRIGHTSON RIP

It isn't hyperbole when I say that without seeing Bernie Wrightson's art at age 14 I wouldn't be doing what I do. I absolutely wanted to be Berni ( which is how he spelt his name back then so as not to be confused with Bernie Wrightson the American swimmer). I yearned to draw exactly like him before I'd heard of Graham Ingels who was perhaps his biggest influence with Frazetta.My very first comic strips were rawly drawn tales of terror in my approximation of his style and I loved trying to be him.They say you shouldn't meet your heroes and I never did . My heart and condolences go out to his family - God knows what they must be feeling today.
I feel like I should post something visual on this sad day of Bernie Wrightson's death but I don't want it seen as taking advantage of the event. So I present my only ever drawing of Swamp Thing - the monster forever associated with Bernie in celebration of his influence on so many artists who without his guidance wouldn't be who they are.We'll always love you Bernie.





No comments:

Post a Comment